A few weeks ago one of our Nonprofit Consulting Boot Camp clients asked me how to know when to send out his newsletter, or other e-communications. I also need to know this for the clients I support with Development Coaching because as we add or grow direct mail campaigns, this information is vital to the success of those campaigns.
I taught an entire webinar on direct mail which included lots of information and statistics on this specific topic. (You can still grab the replay for Direct Mail Campaigns 101.) Whether you are a for-profit or a nonprofit, you need to understand when your audience will read, open, and click through your campaigns.
I wanted to share some of the main stats for you so you can reach your audiences more efficiently.
What is the BEST day for email marketing?
- Highest open rates: Sunday
- Highest click-through rates: Tuesday and Saturday
- Highest click-to-open rates: Wednesday
- Lowest bounce rates: Monday
- Lowest unsubscribe rates: Monday
What is the WORST day for email marketing?
- Lowest open rates: Wednesday
- Lowest click-through rates: Monday
- Lowest click-to-open rates: Monday
- Highest bounce rates: Wednesday
- Highest unsubscribe rates: Friday
What are standard email engagement benchmarks?
Average open rate for all industries vs. nonprofits
- Industry average open rate: 17.92%
- Nonprofit open rate: 20.39%
Average click-through rate for all industries vs. nonprofits
- Industry average click-through rate: 2.69%
- Nonprofit click-through rate: 2.66%
Average click-to-open rate for all industries vs. nonprofits
- Industry average click-to-open rate: 14.10%
- Nonprofit click-to-open rate: 12.99%
Average unsubscribe rate for all industries vs. nonprofits
- Industry average unsubscribe rate: 0.17%
- Nonprofit unsubscribe rate: 0.17%
Average bounce rate for all industries vs. nonprofits
- Industry average bounce rate: 1.06%
- Nonprofit bounce rate: 1.09%
*Check our more amazing resources from Campaign Monitor’s Resource Knowledge Base
I hope these basic stats will help you as you work to create a communications plan and/or evaluate your current communication success!